Roasted Imperial Pumpkin Ale
Pumpkin Beer - Partial Mash
This is a robust pumpkin ale. It's dark and smoky with a hint of pumpkin spices. The high alcohol content makes this a great beer for a chilly fall day. It's made with bits of real pumpkin so you know it's good.
- 4 lbs (1.81 kg) Light Dry Malt Extract (4 °L)
- 3.3 lbs (1.5 kg) Light Liquid Malt Extract (4 °L)
- 1 lbs (0.45 kg) Roasted Barley (300 °L)
- 1 lbs (0.45 kg) Special B (180 °L)
- 1 lbs (0.45 kg) Crystal 60 (60 °L)
- After Boil
- 4 oz (113.4 g) Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0 °L)
- 1 oz (28.35 g) Cascade Pellet 7% AA (Boil - 60 mins)
- 0.5 oz (14.17 g) Warrior Pellet 16% AA (Boil - 30 mins)
- 0.5 oz (14.17 g) East Kent Golding Pellet 5.5% AA (Boil - 15 mins)
- 15 oz (425.24 g) Pumpkin Puree (Boil - 60 mins)
- 1 tsp (4.93 mL) Irish Moss (Boil - 15 mins)
- 2 tsp (9.86 mL) Pumpkin Spice (Boil - 5 mins)
- 1/2 tsp (2.46 mL) Yeast Nutrient Powder (Boil - 10 mins)
- American Ale Yeast II (Wyeast 1272) (Liquid)
Pour pumpkin puree (canned is fine) into the mash pot with 2.5 gallons of water. Bring mixture to 155 F and soak with speciality grains in a grain bag for 60 mins. Strain the mixture through a cheese cloth. Add the dry extract, liquid extract, top off to 6.5 gallons and bring to a boil. Add hops and misc ingredients at times indicated.
Cool and transfer to the primary fermentor. Shake and stir well and pitch your yeast.
Corn sugar is used for bottle priming.
Hold in primary fermentor for 10 days at 66 °F (19 °C).
Transfer to secondary fermentor for 11 days.
Allow to carbonate and age for 14 days.