- Original recipe submitted by: MattStueber
- Original recipe submitted on: Sep 07, 2020
- Revised on: Sep 07, 2020
- Comment: [No comment given]
German Altbier 1
This recipe is a base template for the German-Style Brown Ale/Düsseldorf-Style Altbier style. While you are welcome to brew this recipe as is it's intended to be used as a starting point for creating your own recipe.
- After Boil
- 4 oz (113.4 g) Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0 °L)
- 6.5 lbs (2.95 kg) Amber Liquid Malt Extract (12.5 °L)
- 0.5 lbs (0.23 kg) Black Patent Malt (500 °L)
- 0.75 lbs (0.34 kg) Crystal 40 (40 °L)
- 0.5 oz (14.17 g) Hallertauer Tradition Leaf 7% AA (Boil - 1 mins)
- 1 oz (28.35 g) Hallertauer Tradition Leaf 7% AA (Boil - 15 mins)
- 1 oz (28.35 g) Hallertauer Tradition Leaf 7% AA (Boil - 60 mins)
- 1 tsp (4.93 mL) Irish Moss (Boil - 15 mins)
- Kölsch Yeast (Wyeast 2565) (Dry)
Add 5 gal purified water to kettle. Steep dry grains as water comes up to 170. Sparge with 1 gal hot water and Remove grains.
Bring to boil. Then turn off heat and add amber malt extract
Bring back to boil. Add 1 oz hops. Boil 60 min. With 15 minutes left, add 1 oz flavoring hops and Irish moss tablet. With 1 minute left add .5 oz aroma hops.
Cool to 70F and transfer to primary. Shake to mix and aerate then pitch the yeast.
Corn sugar is for bottle priming.
Hold in primary fermentor for 21 days at 67 °F (19 °C).
Allow to carbonate and age for 14 days.