American Amber Pumpkin Ale
Pumpkin Beer - Extract
A pumpkin ale built from an American Amber Ale extract kit.
- 6.6 lbs (2.99 kg) Amber Liquid Malt Extract (10 °L)
- 6 oz (170.1 g) Crystal 10 (10 °L)
- 6 oz (170.1 g) Crystal 120 (120 °L)
- 1 oz (28.35 g) Cascade Pellet 5% AA (Boil - 15 mins)
- 1 oz (28.35 g) Centennial 9.7% AA (Boil - 60 mins)
- 3 lbs (1.36 kg) Pumpkin Chunks (Mash)
- 5 oz (141.75 g) Lyle's Golden Syrup (Boil - 30 mins)
- 1 Vanilla Bean (Boil - 60 mins)
- 1 Cinnamon Stick (Boil - 60 mins)
- 3/4 tsp (3.7 mL) Nutmeg (Boil - 5 mins)
- 3/4 tsp (3.7 mL) Ground Cloves (Boil - 5 mins)
- 3/4 tsp (3.7 mL) Ground Ginger (Boil - 5 mins)
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.39 mL) Ground Cinnamon (Boil - 5 mins)
- Safale US-05 (Dry)
Infusion Step: Mash at 155 °F (68 °C) for 30 minutes.
Caramelize the pumpkin chunks (~1 hour at 375 F) and add at the beginning of the mash.
At start of boil add the vanilla bean, cinnamon stick and half of the Centennial (bittering) hops. After 20 minutes, add the rest of the bittering hops.
At 30 minutes, add the Lyle's Golden Syrup. Invert sugar may substitute, but lacks the caramel flavoring.
Add half of the Cascade hops at 45 minutes and the rest at 60 minutes.
Add the pumpkin spices at 55 minutes.
Strain the wort when transferring in to the primary fermentor.
Hold in primary fermentor for 8 days at 67 °F (19 °C).
Transfer to secondary fermentor for 10 days.
Allow to carbonate and age for 14 days.
If you started brewing this beer today you could be drinking it by Nov. 19, 2018. Start brewing this recipe.