- Original recipe submitted by: mlavin
- Original recipe submitted on: Jul 12, 2011
- Revised on: Jul 17, 2011
- Comment: Adjust IBU for hop changes.
Dark and Stormy Ale
Herb and Spice Beer - Partial Mash
I've never been a big fan of summer beers but I wanted to make something that reminded me of summer. The Dark and Stormy is one of my favorite drinks. It's a mixture of dark rum and ginger beer. I thought it would be fun to make a beer that played off of these flavors. It's a light ale base with Molasses and raw sugar (turbinado) bring out the rum notes and candied ginger.
- 0.5 lbs (0.23 kg) 2-Row Malt (2 °L)
- 1 lbs (0.45 kg) Crystal 20 (20 °L)
- 1.5 lbs (0.68 kg) Light Dry Malt Extract (4 °L)
- 3.3 lbs (1.5 kg) Light Liquid Malt Extract (4 °L)
- 0.5 lbs (0.23 kg) Turbinado (Raw Sugar) (10 °L)
- 0.5 lbs (0.23 kg) Molasses (80 °L)
- After Boil
- 4 oz (113.4 g) Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0 °L)
- 0.5 oz (14.17 g) Crystal Pellet 3.5% AA (Boil - 60 mins)
- 0.5 oz (14.17 g) Chinook Pellet 10% AA (Boil - 30 mins)
- 0.5 oz (14.17 g) Crystal Pellet 3.5% AA (Boil - 0 mins)
- 3 oz (85.05 g) Candied Ginger (Boil - 0 mins)
- 1 tbsp (14.79 mL) Irish Moss (Boil - 15 mins)
- American Ale Yeast II (Wyeast 1272) (Liquid)
Soak 2-row and crystal malts in 2 gallons of water at 155 F for 30 mins. Add dry extract, top off to 3 gallons and bring to a boil.
Add hops as indicated. Add liquid extract, turbinado and molasses with 15 mins left in the boil. When the boil is finished add the candied ginger cut into pea sized pieces. Strain out ginger after the wort is cooled and before adding to the primary fermentor. Transfer to primary, top off with cool water to reach 5 gallons and pitch yeast.
Corn sugar is for bottle priming.
Hold in primary fermentor for 14 days at 66 °F (19 °C).
Allow to carbonate and age for 14 days.
- 1 tsp (4.
93mL) Irish Moss (Boil - 15 mins)