- There are no brew journals for this recipe.
War Pig's Wrath
American-Style Imperial Stout - Partial Mash
My biggest beer to date. Based off one of my previous beers that turned out great. Amping up the ABV and with more brews under my belt,I think this will be stellar! Cacao Nibs, Brewer's Licorice, Madagascar Vanilla Extract on top of a mighty Stout foundation!
- 12 lbs (5.44 kg) Light Dry Malt Extract (4 °L)
- 2.5 lbs (1.13 kg) Crystal 150 (150 °L)
- 2 lbs (0.91 kg) Dark Brown Sugar (50 °L)
- 1.5 lbs (0.68 kg) Roasted Barley (300 °L)
- 0.5 lbs (0.23 kg) Chocolate Malt (350 °L)
- 0.5 lbs (0.23 kg) Gambrinus Honey Malt (25 °L)
- 0.25 lbs (0.11 kg) Rye malt (3.5 °L)
- 0.5 lbs (0.23 kg) Flaked Oats (1 °L)
- 0.5 lbs (0.23 kg) Coffee Malt - Swaen Malting Co. (200 °L)
- 2.5 oz (70.87 g) Chinook Pellet 14.6% AA (Boil - 60 mins)
- 2 oz (56.7 g) Galena Pellet 11.46% AA (Boil - 60 mins)
- 1 oz (28.35 g) East Kent Golding Pellet 5.5% AA (Boil - 10 mins)
- 1.5 oz (42.52 g) Chinook Pellet 14.6% AA (Boil - 10 mins)
- 4 oz (113.4 g) cacao nibs (Primary)
- 4 tsp (19.72 mL) Vanilla Flavor (Bottling)
- 0.5 Licorice Stick (Bottling)
- 2 oz (56.7 g) Medium Toast American Oak Chips (Primary)
- 1 Whirlfloc (Boil - 15 mins)
- 1/2 tsp (2.46 mL) Yeast Nutrient Powder (Boil - 10 mins)
- Super High Gravity Ale Yeast (Whitelabs WLP099) (Liquid)
- Safale US-05 (Dry)
Steep Specialty Grains (Infusion): Mash at 155 °F (68 °C) with 2 gal (7.57 L) of water for 20 minutes.
60 Minute Boil (Infusion): Mash at 220 °F (104 °C) with 1.5 gal (5.68 L) of water for 60 minutes.
Initial pitch of 2 re-hydrated US-05 packets, then after 3 days active fermentation, add good size starter pitch of White Labs High Gravity yeast along with 1 lb. Dark Brown Sugar and 1/2 tsp. yeast nutrient. After 3 more days, add another 1 lb. DBS + 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient. Agitate to keep yeast in suspension once a week. Let ferment for 30 days or when gravity reading is consistent. Soak cacao nibs and licorice in bourbon for 2-3 days then add at bottling along with vanilla extract. Let bottle age for at least 3 months!
Hold in primary fermentor for 30 days at 65 °F (18 °C).
Allow to carbonate and age for 120 days at 65 °F (18 °C).
If you started brewing this beer today you could be drinking it by July 17, 2019. Start brewing this recipe.