- There are no brew journals for this recipe.
WarnerBraü Bag Pipe Buster
Scotch Ale - Partial Mash
Stepping away from traditional Scottish recipe and adding peated and chocolate malts. Also adding a pound of brown sugar to boost ABV while adding additional character. Added additional malt to brew a 6 gal. batch. Adheres to guidelines for the most part..
- 7 lbs (3.18 kg) Light Dry Malt Extract (4 °L)
- 2 lbs (0.91 kg) Crystal 60 (60 °L)
- 1.5 lbs (0.68 kg) Brown Malt (65 °L)
- 1 lbs (0.45 kg) Light Brown Sugar (8 °L)
- 2 oz (56.7 g) Peated Malt (3 °L)
- 4 oz (113.4 g) Chocolate Malt (350 °L)
- 1 lbs (0.45 kg) Flaked Oats (1 °L)
- 1 oz (28.35 g) Brewer's Gold Pellet 9.2% AA (Boil - 60 mins)
- 1 tsp (4.93 mL) Irish Moss (Boil - 15 mins)
- Scottish Ale Yeast (Wyeast 1728) (Liquid)
Steep Grains (Infusion): Mash at 155 °F (68 °C) with 2 gal (7.57 L) of water for 20 minutes.
75 Min. Boil (Infusion): Mash at 210 °F (99 °C) with 2 gal (7.57 L) of water for 75 minutes.
Add 2 gallons water to boil kettle.
Bring to 155 F.
Steep Crystal, Brown, Caramel, and Peated Malts for 20 minutes.
Add 2 additional gallons.
Bring to boil.
Add 7 lbs. Dried Malt Extract and 1 oz hops
Take 1 gallon of wort and boil down to 1 quart. Add back into boil.
Boil 75 min.
Cool wort to around 70F and pitch yeast.
Hold in primary fermentor for 30 days at 65 °F (18 °C).
Allow to carbonate and age for 14 days at 65 °F (18 °C).
If you started brewing this beer today you could be drinking it by Oct. 4, 2019. Start brewing this recipe.