- There are no brew journals for this recipe.
Extra Special Bitter LME and Challenger Hops
Extra Special Bitter - Extract
ESB messed with for all LME and hop substitutions
- 6.6 lbs (2.99 kg) Amber Liquid Malt Extract (10 °L)
- 0.5 lbs (0.23 kg) Crystal 60 (60 °L)
- 0.5 lbs (0.23 kg) Vienna Malt (4 °L)
- 0.25 lbs (0.11 kg) Special B (180 °L)
- 1 oz (28.35 g) Wye Challenger Pellet 8% AA (Boil - 60 mins)
- 1 oz (28.35 g) Wye Challenger Pellet 8% AA (Boil - 30 mins)
- 1 oz (28.35 g) Fuggle Pellet 4.5% AA (Boil - 5 mins)
- 1 tsp (4.93 mL) Irish Moss (Boil - 15 mins)
- London ESB Ale Yeast (Wyeast 1968) (Liquid)
Heat 3 gallons of water to 150 - 160 degrees. Put grains into mesh bags and steep for 15 minutes. Raise to boil, add LME and add hops and irish moss at times indicated. Boil for a total of 60 minutes.
Cool and transfer to primary fermentor. Top off with cold water to the 5 gallon mark. Aerate then pitch the yeast.
priming sugar is for bottle priming.
Hold in primary fermentor for 5 days at 68 °F (20 °C).
Transfer to secondary fermentor for 3 days at 65 °F (18 °C).
Allow to carbonate and age for 14 days at 70 °F (21 °C).
If you started brewing this beer today you could be drinking it by Aug. 15, 2019. Start brewing this recipe.