English-Style Dark Mild Ale - All Grain
I wanted to use up what I had left over from some other batches, which meant spending a lot of time changing styles to see what BJCP category I was brewing. The closest I came was a mild. I also really love Oatmeal Stouts, so I thought why not an Oatmeal Mild?
Crazy, I know. But since I needed to clean out the garage, I used what you see below, and since I had to go out and by 1 minute oats, it wasn't exactly what I had on hand.
- 4 lbs (1.81 kg) Maris Otter (3 °L)
- 12 oz (340.19 g) Chocolate Malt (350 °L)
- 8 oz (226.8 g) Crystal 120 (120 °L)
- 2 oz (56.7 g) Molasses (80 °L)
- 8 oz (226.8 g) Flaked Oats (1 °L)
- 0.5 oz (14.17 g) Early Cluster Pellet 6.9% AA (Boil - 90 mins)
- 1 tbsp (14.79 mL) Sparkalloid (Boil - 15 mins)
- London ESB Ale Yeast (Wyeast 1968) (Liquid)
Infusion Step: Mash at 154 °F (68 °C) with 1.5 gal (5.68 L) of water for 90 minutes.
Recommended Sparge: 170 °F (77 °C)
Mash all grains together at 154F for 90 minutes. Sparge with 2 gallons @ 170F, add hops and boil for 45 minutes, add Sparklloid, boil 15minutes more, and cool to less than 70F, pitch 3 cups yeast London ESB 1968 starter, stir, and put on airlock .
Hold in primary fermentor for 21 days at 64 °F (18 °C).
Transfer to secondary fermentor for 14 days at 70 °F (21 °C).
Allow to carbonate and age for 21 days at 70 °F (21 °C).
If you started brewing this beer today you could be drinking it by April 17, 2018. Start brewing this recipe.