Vanilla Oatmeal Stout
Oatmeal Stout - Extract
Generic oatmeal stout with a hint of vanilla.
- 6.6 lbs (2.99 kg) Light Dry Malt Extract (4 °L)
- 8 oz (226.8 g) Roasted Barley (300 °L)
- 4 oz (113.4 g) Crystal 120 (120 °L)
- 1 lbs (0.45 kg) Flaked Oats (1 °L)
- 1 oz (28.35 g) Northern Brewer Pellet 10.5% AA (First Wort - 60 mins)
- 1 Vanilla Bean (Secondary)
- 1 tsp (4.93 mL) Irish Moss (Boil - 15 mins)
- Nottingham Ale Yeast (Whitelabs WLP039) (Dry)
Steep grains for 30 minutes at 155 F. Remove from heat and dissolve extract in to wort. Bring wort to a boil. Add bittering hops and boil for 60 minutes. With 15 minutes left, add irish moss.
Cool wort to 100 F and re-hydrate yeast for 20 minutes. Transfer wort to fermenter and top off to 5 gallons with cold water. Add yeast and stir.
After 7-10 days, when fermentation finishes, transfer to secondary and add a vanilla bean split in half. Bottle after a week. For a strong vanilla flavor, leave in secondary longer or add a second bean.
Hold in primary fermentor for 8 days at 68 °F (20 °C).
Transfer to secondary fermentor for 7 days at 68 °F (20 °C).
Allow to carbonate and age for 10 days at 65 °F (18 °C).
If you started brewing this beer today you could be drinking it by Jan. 9, 2019. Start brewing this recipe.