Holiday Chocolate Peppermint Stout
Chocolate/Cocoa-Flavored Beer - All Grain
This is a twist on sweet chocolate stout. The addition of peppermint extract gives a strong peppermint smell and cool after-taste. This was a pretty big hit every year and has become a Christmas time tradition.
- 8 lbs (3.63 kg) 2-Row Malt (2 °L)
- 1 lbs (0.45 kg) Crystal 60 (60 °L)
- 1 lbs (0.45 kg) Special B (180 °L)
- 1 lbs (0.45 kg) Chocolate Malt (350 °L)
- 8 oz (226.8 g) Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0 °L)
- 4 oz (113.4 g) Table Sugar (Sucrose) (1 °L)
- 8 oz (226.8 g) Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0 °L)
- After Boil
- 4 oz (113.4 g) Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0 °L)
- 1.5 oz (42.52 g) Kent Golding Pellet 5.5% AA (Boil - 60 mins)
- 0.25 oz (7.09 g) Kent Golding Pellet 5.5% AA (Boil - 15 mins)
- 1 tsp (4.93 mL) Irish Moss (Boil - 15 mins)
- 4 oz (113.4 g) Cocoa Powder (Boil - 15 mins)
- 3/4 tbsp (11.09 mL) Peppermint Extract (Primary)
- 1 tsp (4.93 mL) Peppermint (Boil - 2 mins)
- London Ale Yeast (Wyeast 1028) (Liquid)
Infusion Step: Mash at 154 °F (68 °C) for 60 minutes.
Single infusion mash. Add hops at times given. Dissolve cocoa powder in warm water (~ 2 cups) and add with 15 mins left in the boil along with irish moss. Just prior to the end of the boil add the peppermint leaves.
After the first week in the primary, add the peppermint extract directly in the primary.
The final 4 oz of corn sugar are used for bottle priming.
Hold in primary fermentor for 21 days at 69 °F (21 °C).
Allow to carbonate and age for 14 days.
If you started brewing this beer today you could be drinking it by July 29, 2019. Start brewing this recipe.