- Original recipe submitted by: Muddy
- Original recipe submitted on: Oct 09, 2012
- Revised on: Oct 09, 2012
- Comment: New recipe created.
Brewer's Best American Pale Wheat
American-Style Pale Ale - Partial Mash
This is an easy drinking ale blending the styles of pale ale and
wheat beer. The malt bill is based on wheat extract and flaked
red wheat and will provide a light copper color and ample head
retention. American Pale Wheats are hoppier than traditional
wheat beers and American Cluster and Liberty hops lend a moderate
hoppiness. BRY-97 yeast ferments a clean, ale flavor profile
without the banana and clove phenols that its German counterpart
has. This beer is very drinkable and is most enjoyable fresh,
just after bottle conditioning.
- 6.6 lbs (2.99 kg) Wheat Liquid Malt Extract (3 °L)
- 1 lbs (0.45 kg) 2-Row Malt (2 °L)
- 1 lbs (0.45 kg) Flaked Wheat (1.6 °L)
- 1 oz (28.35 g) Liberty Pellet 3.9% AA (Boil - 5 mins)
- 1 oz (28.35 g) Yakima Cluster Pellet 6.8% AA (Boil - 60 mins)
- BRY-97 (American West Coast Ale Yeast, Lallemand) (Dry)
Infusion Step: Mash at 152 °F (67 °C) for 45 minutes.
1. For every 2 lbs. of grain included in this recipe pour 1 gallon
of water into the brew pot (e.g. if 1.5 lb. of grain are
included, begin with 3/4 gallons of water).
2. Pour the crushed grains into the grain bag and tie a loose
knot at the top of the bag. Raise the temperature of the
water to 155ºF. Place the grain bag into the brew pot. As
the grains begin to soak, the water temperature will drop.
Carefully monitor the temperature and when it drops below
150ºF add just enough heat to bring the steep water
to a range between 148ºF - 152ºF, do not exceed 155ºF.
Steep the grains for 45 minutes. Remove the grain bag
and without squeezing, allow the liquid to drain back into
3. (optional) Pour approximately 150ºF clean water over the bag allowing
the grains to be rinsed back into the liquid wort.
4. Add enough warm water to your wort to bring the volume
to 2.5 gallons.
5. Add one can of LME and proceed as normal. Add second can of LME with 15 min left in boil. Follow hop addition schedule above.
Hold in primary fermentor for 5 days at 70 °F (21 °C).
Transfer to secondary fermentor for 9 days at 70 °F (21 °C).
Allow to carbonate and age for 14 days at 70 °F (21 °C).