- There are no brew journals for this recipe.
German Altbier Extract Template
This recipe is a base template for the German-Style Brown Ale/Düsseldorf-Style Altbier style. While you are welcome to brew this recipe as is it's intended to be used as a starting point for creating your own recipe.
- 3 lbs (1.36 kg) Munich Dry Malt Extract (8 °L)
- 3 lbs (1.36 kg) Dark Liquid Malt Extract (30 °L)
- After Boil
- 4 oz (113.4 g) Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0 °L)
- 2 oz (56.7 g) Hallertauer Tradition 7% AA (Boil - 60 mins)
- 1 tsp (4.93 mL) Irish Moss (Boil - 15 mins)
- Dusseldorf Alt Yeast (Whitelabs WLP036) (Liquid)
Add mix dry extract with 3 gallons of water and bring to a boil. Add hops and irish moss at times indicated. With 15 mins remaining in the boil add the liquid extract. Cool and transfer to primary fermentor. Top off with cold water to the 5 gallon mark. Shake to mix and aerate then pitch the yeast.
Corn sugar is for bottle priming.
Hold in primary fermentor for 21 days at 67 °F (19 °C).
Allow to carbonate and age for 14 days.
If you started brewing this beer today you could be drinking it by May 29, 2018. Start brewing this recipe.