Hoppy Birthday Kennedy
American-Style India Pale Ale - Partial Mash
A delicious hoppy beer to celebrate our new baby girl.
It is loosely based on a clone of Dogfish Head 60-Min IPA. While it isn't continuously hopped, it's what I would call semi-continuously hopped.
- 4 lbs (1.81 kg) Light Dry Malt Extract (4 °L)
- 3.3 lbs (1.5 kg) Light Liquid Malt Extract (4 °L)
- 10 oz (283.5 g) Amber Malt (22 °L)
- After Boil
- 4 oz (113.4 g) Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0 °L)
- 0.5 oz (14.17 g) Warrior Pellet 16% AA (Boil - 60 mins)
- 0.5 oz (14.17 g) Cascade Pellet 7% AA (Boil - 60 mins)
- 0.5 oz (14.17 g) Centennial Pellet 10.5% AA (Boil - 60 mins)
- 0.5 oz (14.17 g) Centennial Pellet 10.5% AA (Boil - 0 mins)
- 1 oz (28.35 g) Centennial Pellet 10.5% AA (Dry Hop)
- 0.5 oz (14.17 g) Cascade Pellet 7% AA (Dry Hop)
- 1 tsp (4.93 mL) Irish Moss (Boil - 2 mins)
- American Ale Yeast (Wyeast 1056) (Liquid)
Bring 2.5 gallons to 155 F. Soak amber malt in a grain bag for 30 mins.
Add dry extract and 0.5 gallon of water and bring to a boil.
Mix 0.5 oz. each of Warrior, Centennial and Cascade hops together. Add 0.1 oz of the mixture every 4 mins. With 15 mins remaining in the boil add the liquid extract. Stop the timer, bring back to a boil and add irish moss. Watch for boil over.
Start dry hopping in the secondary fermentor.
Corn sugar is for priming the bottles for carbonation.
Hold in primary fermentor for 11 days at 66 °F (19 °C).
Transfer to secondary fermentor for 10 days.
Allow to carbonate and age for 14 days.
If you started brewing this beer today you could be drinking it by May 29, 2018. Start brewing this recipe.