- Submitted by: cwiggins21
- Submitted on: Aug 21, 2019
cwiggins21's Brewing Journal
Recipe: cwiggins21 / Mitch's Brew II (revision #2)
- Started Brewing: Aug 21, 2019
- Original Gravity: 1.043
- Primary Fermentation Complete (Estimated): Aug 28, 2019
- Secondary Fermentation Complete (Estimated): Sep 04, 2019
- Ready to Drink (Estimated): Sep 18, 2019
- Pre Boil Wort Size: 4.50 gallon
- Post Boil Wort Size: 3.50 gallon
- Final Batch Size: 3.00 gallon
Notes From Aug. 21, 2019 (Brewing)
Gravity Reading: 1.043
STRIKE: 2.5gals (1.66qt/lb) at 166°F. Dough-in. Temp settled to 152°F.
MASH: One hour at 152°-150°F. Vorlauf. Lauter. Collected 1.6gal first runnings at 1.060. (Grain Absorption Rate = 0.6qt/lb).
SPARGE: Batch sparge with 3gals, 170°F water. Vorlauf. Lauter. Collected second runnings to reach desired boil volume of 4.5gal. Gravity of second runnings: 1.023
BOIL: 4.5gal with hops as scheduled in recipe. At end of one-hour boil batch size of 3.5gal was attained! (Boil-off rate = 22%, equalling one gallon.)
CHILL: Using ice bath and constant stirring, temperature of 72°F was all I could coax! Allowed trub to settle while cleaning some equipment.
FERMENT: Wort transferred to fermentation bucket; dry yeast was delicately pitched to top of wort and allowed to rehydrate, then stirred into wort. Bucket sealed. Volume = 3gal; Gravity = 1.043