jacksauce Avatar jacksauce's Brewing Journal

Recipe: jacksauce / Belgian - extra strong Matilda clone (revision #2)

  • Started Brewing: Dec 31, 2014
  • Original Gravity: 1.080
  • Primary Fermentation Complete (Estimated): Jan 14, 2015
  • Secondary Fermentation Complete (Estimated): Jan 18, 2015
  • Ready to Drink (Estimated): Mar 07, 2015
  • Pre Boil Wort Size: 7.20 gallon
  • Post Boil Wort Size: 6.50 gallon
  • Final Batch Size: 6.50 gallon

Notes From Dec. 31, 2014 (Brewing)

Gravity Reading: 1.080

OG was low after boil (1.052). To bring it up I had to add dissolved sugar to the wort while it was cooling. I used cane sugar instead of candi sugar because that's all I had.
Altered OG came in at 1.08.

Notes From Jan. 13, 2015 (Moving to Secondary)

Gravity Reading: 1.031

Moved to secondary. Transferred all of 5+ gallons.
Gravity seems high but probably because it started high. Calculates out at 6.4% abv.
Taste is awesome! Sweet and fruity aromatics.

Notes From Jan. 22, 2015 (Bottling/Kegging)

Gravity Reading: [Not given]

Cold crashed for 24 hours and Transferred most to a keg. I primed about 1.5 gallons and bottled them. Topped the keg with c02 and put it back into keezer.

Notes From Jan. 24, 2015 (Bottling/Kegging)

Gravity Reading: [Not given]

Finally had some time and decided to try to force/quick carbonate the keg by putting 30psi on it and agitating it for about a minute.
1st taste test -
Carbonation is still a little low but it don't want to shake it anymore. Taste is very sweet and smooth with the perfect Belgian aromatic favors. I think I will let it sit on 7.8psi for another week and try it again.

Notes From Jan. 28, 2015

Gravity Reading: 1.031

Decided that it was way to sweet. I guess all the extra sugar I added was a bad idea. I think the yeast maxed out or stalled. Poured everything back into a carboy and I am planning on pitching more yeast.
Bought a Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong and will pitch it.
I de-carbed it by pouring it back a forth between buckets.

Notes From Jan. 31, 2015 (Other)

Gravity Reading: 1.031

The yeast that I pitched didn't really ever kick in. I decided to make a good full 1 liter yeast starter with some champagne yeast. I made sure I had lots of yeast action before adding it in.

This seemed to do the trick. I have bubbles in the airlock after just a few hours.

Notes From Feb. 1, 2015

Gravity Reading: [Not given]

The yeast are doing their thing! Lots of bubble and some trub collecting in the bottom - I still may be able to save this beer.

Notes From Feb. 5, 2015 (Gravity Check)

Gravity Reading: 1.021

The yeast are working. Gravity is coming down, sweetness is coming down. Flavor is better.. Airlock has slowed but still some bubbles. I will wait 2 - 3 more days to decide whether to shut it down.

Notes From Feb. 9, 2015 (Bottling/Kegging)

Gravity Reading: 1.010